Stop the Fishing Tackle Ban! No on AB 2787.
It’s baaaack! The lead fishing weight ban bill, AB 2787 (Quirk), has been noticed for hearing on April 24th at 1:30pm at the State Capitol! Sign the Petition and Send Letters ASAP!
Assembly Member Bill Quirk (Hayward) introduced Assembly Bill 2787, legislation that will ban lead fishing weights (1 3/4 ounces or less) that can be found in most every California angler’s tackle box. Making fishing too costly and less accessible will have a devastating impact on the state’s tourism industry and communities dependent on outdoor recreation for tax revenue and jobs.
You have a Voice in the Political Process – Be Heard!
2) Write a letter to the Committee by April 2nd (see below)
Please send letters ASAP to:
Assembly Environmental Safety & Toxic Materials Committee
Assembly Member Bill Quirk, Chair and Members of the Committee
1020 N Street, Room 171
Sacramento, California 95814
So that your letter is shared with other members of the State Legislature, please email a copy to email@example.com.
Talking Points: (Share your unique perspective)
- There is no evidence that lead fishing weights threaten Californiawildlife populations in California. Isolated incidences in California do not suggest a significant risk, or the justification for a statewide ban.
- While lead bans exist in some Northeastern states or other countries, wildlife there are not commonly found in California.
- Will harm fishing participation rates by driving up the cost of fishing weights and sinkers by two-three times, and even 10-20 times depending on the product.
- Undermines intent of bill. As fishing license sales decline, there will be less revenue for state conservation and habitat programs that protect wildlife and keep our waters clean. (Annual licenses sales have declined 55% since 1980)
- Will harm outdoor tourism and jobs dependent on recreational fishing for economic activity (CA: $4.6 billion a year)
- Since California is one of the country’s largest consumer markets for fishing tackle and outdoor equipment, the bill could put many American tackle manufacturers and mom-and-pop tackle shops out of business
To track status of bill, or see list of bill opponents, click here.
Opposition Coalition: American Sportfishing Association, California Association of Harbor Masters and Port Captains, California Association for Recreational Fishing, California Aquaculture Association, California Chamber of Commerce, California Parks Company, California Parks Hospitality Association, California Sportfishing League, California Yacht Marinas, California Yacht Brokers Association, Coastal Conservation Association, Coastside Fishing Club Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation Coyote Bait and Tackle, Dana Wharf Sportfishing & Whale Watching, Douglas Elliot, Los Angeles Rod and Reel Club, Marina Recreation Association, National Federation of Independent Business, National Marine Manufacturers Association, Nor-Cal Guides and Sportsmen’s Association, Oceanside Senior Anglers, Inc., Paradise Bass Club, Safe Harbor Marinas, San Diego County Wildlife Federation, United Pier and Shore Anglers of California, Visit Mammoth Lakes, Western Boaters Safety Group,